Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sunny Skies In Erice

It's another rainy day here in Marsala but Saturday was beautiful and sunny! What a nice break from all the rain and wind.
We drove up to Erice with our friends Dave, Sue, Jay and Michelle. Erice is about an hour from here. It's a wonderful, mediaeval town nestled way up on top of Monte Erice. You truly step back in time as you wander the streets and imagine what it must have been like to live there centuries ago.

We ate lunch at the Hotel Moderno and then had yummy dessert at Maria Grammatico's. ( If I remembered the names of all the food we ate I'd tell you :) The atmosphere up in Erice is relaxed and life is uncomplicated........what we all dream of, right?

I was completely captured by the architecture. It is so varied, rugged and enchanting. One of the things that I have found fascinating here in Sicily are the doors, mostly home and church doors. I don't think I've seen two alike. You definitely don't run down to Lowes and grab the same door the rest of the neighborhood has! Many of the doors have a wrought iron design above them and that too is unique. The door handles and knockers add great character to the doors.

It was a wonderful weekend with a chance to get out and enjoy the sun and fresh air.
I put new pictures on my flickr photostream so check them out :)

p.s. Please keep DJ's dad,Dan, in your prayer's. The aorta from his navel to where the aorta separates to go down the legs has some blockage and the iliac going down his right leg is almost completely blocked. The iliac going down the left leg is somewhat blocked. It requires major by-pass surgery to correct this. It looks like the surgery will be the week of Feb. 16th. Pray for the doctors to have wisdom.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. Your pictures are great. Love all the doors, especially the little one that you have to step up some stairs to get to. The town looks so rugged yet so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to travel and I want to hop on a plane and come visit you after seeing those photos! Beautiful!!!! I think it's awesome that you took photos of the architecture! I enjoy all the craftsmanship that you find in other countries! Thanks for sharing your day with us!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great pictures! I love all the doors! One of my favorite things about Europe are the little cobblestone streets in old villages!
    I will (and already have) pray for Dan.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your comment over at the Remodeling Guy...and my name is Jan Marie also - well technically Jeanette Marie...but I go by Jan. I thought that was "odd" that my comment followed yours.

    Then I came to visit...and saw that DJ's dad, Dan needs prayers. I am going to put him on our Prayer List...it's on our Blog...left column. Please keep us updated.

    ~Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan,
    Thanks again for sharing with us your Italy experiences! I love seeing things through your eyes. You have an eye for detail. Guess that is why you can decorate so well and that you see the joy amidst the storm.
    I am sorry to hear about DJ's Dad. I have been and will continue to pray for him. Let us know as you find out anything.
    Love you friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. thought i'll hop over here to let you know many are praying.

    The surgery is today right?

    ReplyDelete